View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 10:09 AM   #1872
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Thanks -- you all are so kind and patient!

I've heard it many times before, but last week I heard (again) that sometimes continental knitting is easier for a new knitter who has crocheted in the past. I keep trying to hold the yarn in my left hand (I crocheted when I was young, before I learned to knit) and I haven't come up with a good way to do that with English knitting.

On Saturday, I used the Knitting Help app to teach myself continental knitting and after a 1.5" x 6" swatch I thought I had it figured out; I abandoned my scrap swatch to work on Into the Forest. I found that it was a little more difficult with two strands on sticky and rounded bamboo needles than one strand on slick and pointy Harmony needles. I was happy with my progress though, and figured I just needed more practice.

Then I added the TV. After about a half dozen rows, I saw that I dropped a couple of consecutive stitches row back; I picked them up and kept going, and then a couple of rows later I found more dropped stitches, a couple of rows back.

I ripped it out to the dropped stitches and switched back to my regular English knit style.

I think that it might have been too soon for me to work with two strands (while watching TV ) on a project that I feel like I should be rushing. (I know I don't need to rush -- but you know how you get that *feeling* and can't help yourself.)

Overally, I liked the continental knitting much better than my normal English style. I'm just not ready to multi-task with it yet, at least not with multiple strands.

I should have measured it before I went to bed last night -- I think I've finished about two inches so far. I hope to have it finished by the end of the week. (It seems like I've said that before. )
The Following User Says Thank You to sakura-panda For This Useful Post:
susauehl (03-29-2013)