View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013, 07:04 AM   #6
ABC's Mom
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by butlersabroad View Post
So I went to a LYS this morning in Plymouth (Michigan), Michigan Custom Boutique and Fine Yarns. This was my first ever visit to a proper yarn shop and boy, what a difference to shopping at JoAnns or Mikes! I took my husband along to help me, a)because he would be bored after 20 - 30 minutes and that would stop me camping out in the store the entire day, and b) he'd stop me from buying three of everything I touched, and believe me, I touched a LOT of yarns. Actually he's very good at picking out colours and quickly working out yardage of the different skeins too.

I only own a few types of yarn really, cotton for knitting dishcloths, fingering weight for socks, ruffle yarns for scarves and the 2 skeins of Rowan 100% wool that I mentioned in that hat I posted here the other day that I made hubby. So I decided to take some prospective patterns to the store and ask what to use to make them with.

I came home with this...

Malabrigo Arroyo yarn in colour 870 Candombe. 100% Superwash Merino in DK weight. There were so many beautiful colour ways that I didn't know what to pick so Andrew (hubby) picked for me. Great choice. I also got a set of Knit Picks straight needles in the size I needed.

I have two things in mind to make. The first is the Damson Cowl, or these Autumn Garden wrist warmers. I'd like to make the cowl in this pattern too but it needs a bit more wool. The only qualm I have with the wrist warmers and the wool I got is that they might look quite different colour wise, I think I might need something plainer for them. What do you think about that? But that gives me a good excuse to go back to the knitting store! They had a particularly nice llama/cotton blend that felt amazing. In fact, I've never seen so much wool in all my life! I won't be taking Andrew next time, lol!!
If you ever get to the west side of our great state of MI, there are several good LYS in the Grand Rapids area.
I bought some Malibrigo yarn for a sweater at a LYS in Austin where my daughter lives, can't wait to get started on it.
The colors in the yarn you bought are very pretty. Good choice.
ABC's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote