View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 05:08 AM   #16
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,346 Times in 3,030 Posts
Originally Posted by NightMagic6 View Post
So it is hard to see, but I did count out 31st in my white which the pattern says black. Then, using my white/black, I did K two rows. Switching to the green, I K and then P two rows of green to make a valley between the green. I see what's wrong now, but how do I keep it from happening again on the other end of the chart? Do I need to switch something from the directions? Or am I just really bad at this??
Aha, this may be part at least of the problem. The directions say to P one row, not 2. Purling 2 rows is giving you the line of bumps in white that shows up in photo 2 in the first and second white stripes after the cast on. Your knitting looks beautiful and this scarf will work out really well once you get past the initial rows and onto the chart.
You have the background sts correctly done once you get to the picture part of the pattern, where you're following the chart (look at those nice white stockinette valleys in the upper part of photo 1). So why not follow the pattern set up by the first say 5sts of the chart (background area), when you do the first 14 rows of the scarf? Get that background right and then start the chart making sure that you begin the chart with the RS (stockinette valleys) facing you.