View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

Take your pattern one row at a time and enjoy it. If you've never done cables before, it's not as bad as it looks. Whatever your pattern calls for,you will only have a turning row where you will actually twist the cable only every four or six rows. The rest will be some type of knit and purl combination. You will have knits and purls between the cables themselves. I avoided cables for years, thinking they were way too advanced for me. When I finally got up the courage to try, I wondered what all the fuss was about. Cabling is fun and looks very complicated to the uninitiated. You might want to increase your confidence by trying the cable pattern on some other yarn before you commit yourself to the pattern.

One hint I can give you is to look at the stitches. I assume that by now, you are experienced enough to recognize knits from purls. On all the wrong side rows, right side rows without the cable twist, and between the cables on the turning row, you're knitting the knits and purling the purls. You won't need to refer to the cable pattern once you get the hang of it. Easy.

Edit: One thing I should add is that I like to cable without a cable needle. I don't like them because they always fall out. If you have problems with them, I'd suggest switching to bobby pins, found in any women's hair section of the store with hair pins, barettes, and clips. I'm not sure if they call them something else in the UK or Australia.
salmonmac (03-28-2013)