Thread: yay happy me!
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 04:34 PM   #21
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,185 Times in 2,691 Posts
Quote:
(Grumpy Grandma, did you say you take turmeric for inflammation?)
Yes. I started taking it to see if it would help a skin condition and it did and I noticed my knees and hands were less likely to bother me. I recently started taking coconut oil and my knees and hands bothered me even less and I've cut back on the turmeric. I was taking 4, 500 mg caps a day, now I'm down to 2 caps a day, and I may try going lower. I'm thinking of upping the coconut from about 1 tbs. once a day to 1 tbs. twice a day. I'm able to do deep knee bends w/o any real complaints from my knees and the skin problem hasn't resurfaced yet. I think I could crochet again should I choose, my hands don't complain like they used to. As it may have influence on how the turmeric and coconut oil work for me, I think I should add that I cannot take pain medications unless absolutely necessary. Tylenol doesn't seem to do anything pain-wise so even though I've not noticed problems with it, I don't use it. Ibuprofen and Excedrin make me high with a downer after that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy (whoever that might be, I've not a clue). More than about 4 aspirin in a month makes my ears ring. Things with codiene? Only if I don't care to function at all. As you might guess, I can use all the alternative help I can get and self-medicating is about my only option. Drugs and I do not mix well.

One more thing, I've eliminated all liquid dairy and cheese from my diet and have started reading labels to avoid things that contain whey, etc. Now if I consume dairy products, I feel more pain again.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
amy (04-10-2013)