View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #9
dancejunky
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Shandeh View Post
It sometimes helps to do your fair-isle work in the round, INSIDE OUT. This way, the right side of your fabric will always be on the inside of the circle, naturally causing that side to be tighter, and the floats will naturally stretch out a bit more. A lot of fair-isle knitters use this trick.
Thanks. I'm going to try that on the next pair. My floats look nice and loose (i.e., they actually float) already, but it won't hurt to try it inside out. For socks, I think what might do the trick (if that doesn't), and which I've heard another sock knitter recommend, is to increase about 10 sts along the way to the ankle hinge, then decrease once you don't need them any more.

As for which fibers to use for Fair Isle socks, I would steer clear of 100% cotton, linen, or silk, because they don't stretch. And I probably wouldn't use alpaca unless you're going for extremely warm socks. So far, I've just used 100% wool and then added woolly nylon in the toe and heel to reinforce the areas I tend to wear out.