View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 09:23 AM   #3
Antares
Working the Gusset

Welcome to KH and to the wonderful world of knitting.

Trust me, knitting isn't always going to be this frustrating; otherwise, none of us would do it no matter the end result.

Are you having trouble getting your needle through your cast on stitches? If so, you might try casting on with one size larger needle; then move your stitches to the smaller needles and begin your first row of knitting.

Perhaps you keep dropping the yarn as you try to pull the loop under the needle and through the cast on edge? If so, I can sympathize with that. It took me a long time to figure out how to maneuver the needles to get that yarn where it needs to be (years, actually, because I would pick it up and put it down again with months in between tries). This is all part of the learning curve of knitting, so while it's frustrating as all get-out, you have to realize that it's quite normal. There will come a day when it's a breeze--more practice, though, until then.

And lastly, acrylic needles tend to be very slick, so your yarn will zip around without your permission. You might try bamboo needles, which are more sticky. I believe Clover bamboo needles are readily available at Michaels and Hobby Lobby (at least in the U.S.).
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote