View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #8
Dclutterchique
1st Leg of the Journey

I think of an intermediate knitter as someone who looks at a string of abbreviations or some instructions for a new technique and doesn't break out in a cold sweat. Instead they think "I can do that. I may have to pay attention and go slow for a bit until I 'get it', but I can do it."

I've never really thought about my definition of an advanced knitter, but following on from the above I guess I would define an advance knitter as some who knows they can do something, even it they've never done it before.

ABC's Mom I never attended knitting classes (blessed with both my mother and grandmother being able to knit and teach me) but I do think that the criteria or syllabus should make it clear what knowledge the students need to have before starting the class. I also think it should be made clear when a class is labelled Beginner, Intermediate etc that that level refers to knitting as a whole or just to that method/technique. For example, a class for 'Beginners in Fairisle' could be too advanced for someone who is a beginner at knitting, but the right level for someone who is an overall intermediate, but new to Fairisle.

FO: Downton Hat

A sweater of a thousand yards begins with a single stitch. Lao-tzu's Granny
Dclutterchique is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dclutterchique For This Useful Post:
ABC's Mom (04-26-2013)