View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #11
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,003 Times in 2,516 Posts
Originally Posted by Dclutterchique View Post
I think of an intermediate knitter as someone who looks at a string of abbreviations or some instructions for a new technique and doesn't break out in a cold sweat. Instead they think "I can do that. I may have to pay attention and go slow for a bit until I 'get it', but I can do it."

I've never really thought about my definition of an advanced knitter, but following on from the above I guess I would define an advance knitter as some who knows they can do something, even it they've never done it before.

ABC's Mom I never attended knitting classes (blessed with both my mother and grandmother being able to knit and teach me) but I do think that the criteria or syllabus should make it clear what knowledge the students need to have before starting the class. I also think it should be made clear when a class is labelled Beginner, Intermediate etc that that level refers to knitting as a whole or just to that method/technique. For example, a class for 'Beginners in Fairisle' could be too advanced for someone who is a beginner at knitting, but the right level for someone who is an overall intermediate, but new to Fairisle.

I hate going to a class and sleeping through it or it's covering things I'm not prepared for. It's happened in other areas though I've not attended a knitting class because I fully expect I'd either be bored or too challenged.

I think somewhere in classifying beginner, intermediate, or advanced, the ability to adjust patterns to make them fit might be considered.

Me? I knit because I want to and don't care if I'm a beginner or intermediate. Advanced? Me?

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote