View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013, 01:03 PM   #19
Dclutterchique
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I hate going to a class and sleeping through it or it's covering things I'm not prepared for. It's happened in other areas though I've not attended a knitting class because I fully expect I'd either be bored or too challenged.

I think somewhere in classifying beginner, intermediate, or advanced, the ability to adjust patterns to make them fit might be considered.
Me? I knit because I want to and don't care if I'm a beginner or intermediate. Advanced? Me?
I didn't think about being able to adjust patterns, but yes it could be a valid factor.

Originally Posted by fatoldladyinpjs View Post
To complicate matters even further, there's some pattern companies that categorize things like "advanced beginner". What the heck is that? Who sets the standards here anyway? I'm usually the oddball out anyway because I'm an Eastern European knitter. Most people have never heard of it. Knitting lessons? I'm afraid of those. I have my own shortcuts and ways of doing things that would make a master knitting teacher cringe. They'd probably kick me out of class.
The first problem with pattern categories is do they refer to the skill level of the knitter or the complexity of the pattern which is not always the same thing. So does "advanced beginner" mean someone who has passed the very basics but not quite reached intermediate or a pattern design that is the next step up from beginner. I think there is no universal standard although The Craft Yarn Council is trying to encourage this.

FO: Downton Hat

A sweater of a thousand yards begins with a single stitch. Lao-tzu's Granny
Dclutterchique is offline   Reply With Quote