Thread: My violets!
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 11:18 PM   #4
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,984 Times in 2,504 Posts
Originally Posted by N0obKnitter View Post
My (great) Aunt Edie was an African Violet enthusiast and had maaaaany of them. Every time I see one, I think of her.

I don't have the thumb she had; my third violet has a huge neck but I'm fearful I will kill it if I cut and re-pot it. My violets LOVE our bedroom...it gets blasted with sunlight due to being in east-facing window. Also, we run a warm humidifier in that room often. The baby spider plant I rescued from one of the mama plants is blooming, too, and making its own babies.

We got a min orchid when dd was born - it finished blooming but appears to be growing a new leaf.

I have a large variegated dracaena in the living room that is growing like a weed, too.

The phony "bamboo" plant is dying though. Cat mangled it and it's been dying slowly ever since. :'(

Beautiful! I thought I'd posted a reply earlier but apparently not.

African violets love tea and water that eggs have been boiled in. I had a whole bunch in bloom, at least a dozen, and they got tea and egg water. Once a week or so I'd set them in a shallow dish with water and tea bag and just let them soak it up. They're easy to start from a leaf too. You might try starting one or more from the long necked guy, they usually don't last long when they get long necked. I had fun with my AVs. The propagated ones don't always have the same blossoms as the mama plant and I got a big variety of blossoms. I had AVs started from the same leaf that had different blossoms. You can get several babies sometimes from one leaf stem in soil.

"Lucky bamboo" is a dracaena. Is that what you have? Orchids and I never got along, they just didn't like me.

I used to have more than 100 plants, not all different, but I guess I got tired of them. I have a couple that are straggling along.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
N0obKnitter (05-03-2013)