View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
KirstieBee
Casting On

Trouble adding new yarn
Hello!

I'm hoping someone might be able to sort out my edges when I change yarns. I'm very much new to knitting and changing to a new colour is my current challenge. I've been trying to use the 'just knit with new yarn' method (which the videos make look so simple!) but I am coming up against a few problems. I've attached a photo of a little practice sample, which I hope will be clearer than my explanations! I'll mention now that I have knitted the tails of my new yarns in for a few stitches.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040946-crop.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	56672

I seem to have issues with both edges of my work. On the right hand side, I get some 'loopiness' where I leave my old yarn and change to a new colour - as where the working red yarn is now. I also see lots of bits of green poking through red where they shouldn't be and vice versa and it just generally seems really very messy! On the left hand side, it seems there is green at the end of my red stripes and vice versa - I wonder whether this is to do with the 'loop' that I often see at the end of every row (where that stitch has only been knitted on one side, so to speak)?

I expect there is a significant element of 'beginner's tension' at work here, but any advice of how to neaten things up would be very gratefully received. (I'm not too worried about trying to wind a not-in-use yarn up the back of my work as yet, as opposed to starting a fresh piece every time, although I sort of did that here since I was just doing a little practice anyway.)

Thanks in advance,

Kirstie
KirstieBee is offline   Reply With Quote