View Single Post
Old 05-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #8
Antares
Working the Gusset

From what I understand, selling something you made (even something that's based on someone else's pattern) is not illegal--even if they say you can't sell it. In other words, the simple fact that someone is telling you that you can't sell an item made from her pattern doesn't mean that the person has any authority to enforce it.

Now you certainly can't go out and copy and distribute someone's pattern left and right--that's a definite copyright infringement. And really, that's all the designer has control over--the pattern itself.

And by the way, if you make changes to the pattern (other than color, obviously), then the pattern is no longer that of the original creator. It's now YOUR pattern and YOUR creation to do with as you please.

With that said, it's always a good idea to give credit where credit's due. To me, that means saying something like, "Based on {Designer's Name} pattern called {Pattern Name}."

This topic has been discussed many times on KH, and the above info is what I've learned from reading here. However, just to be safe, do your own search for "copyright" on KH and read up on it.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Antares For This Useful Post:
crazykntter83 (05-27-2013), Perigrian (06-20-2013)