View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #10
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,001 Times in 2,514 Posts
Originally Posted by DogCatMom View Post
Personally, I found the Tara Manning book so insulting to men that I didn't buy it. (I borrowed a library copy to read it first, and I was soooo glad I had done so!)

The book that my husband has given his 100% Seal of Male Approval to is Knits Men Want: The 10 Rules Every Woman [well, there's *one* assumption ] Should Know Before Knitting for a Man (Plus the Only 10 Patterns She'll Ever Need), by Bruce Weinstein, LYS owner, knitting teacher, and cookbook author in/near New York City. He knits for a man, too, so he knows whereof he speaks.

Some idea of the "Rules," so I don't give the whole show away:

"Rule 1: Men Can't Fake It." If he doesn't like the sweater/item, he won't wear it to make you happy; he can't fake liking it.

"Rule 2: Men Resist Change. If he's over 15, he's probably got his style locked in--and he likes it.... So if he knows what he likes, get used to it."

"Rule 5: Not All Men Are Worthy of Cashmere." Weinstein backs this one up with a shocking true story told to him by a distressed customer whose husband...well, this is a family forum, so I won't detail what happened. The take-home lesson is: Don't give Fancy Fibers to men who think everything can be thrown into the laundry basket.

The patterns in Knits Men Want are

--Ski Sweater
--Basic Pullover and Vest (with variations)
--Basic Cardigan, two ways
--Raglan-Sleeved Henley
--Hooded (or not) Sweatshirt
--Baseball Jersey
--Fingerless Mitts
--Thick and Warm Socks
--Reversible Cable Scarf
--Watch Cap ("When in doubt, make something basic")

Hope this helps.

There's an assumption there that I sort of take exception to and that is that only men look at clothes that way. Those don't just apply to men. Some of us women who prefer jeans and shirts over anything else are much the same way. I see lots of things I'd love to knit but would never want to wear. My last serious relationship included men's shirts that I just loved to wear. Maybe he got tired of me borrowing his clothes?

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote