View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #13
Dclutterchique
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Looks good! Wish i could eat it, but I don't eat wheat.

If you can weigh in grams it should transfer to other countries easily. Just measure what you'd use in Aus. and then weigh it for us. Also what is S.R. Flour and Caster Sugar?
Originally Posted by butlersabroad View Post
Can you eat spelt flour or some other grain? I mostly use spelt and just add baking powder and baking soda to it, there's bound to be something on the net to say how much to add!
Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Spelt contains gluten, I believe, as my DD doesn't use it; GS is on Gluten-free, Casein-free diet.

SR flour = self-rising flour, and yes, it has leavening in it.

Thank goodness for Google!

Maybe it's the same as confectioner's/powdered sugar? Probably not, it's likely closer to superfine sugar. I just noticed the word granulated in the def.
GG's correct, spelt does contain gluten. My mum, one of my maternal Great Aunts and a paternal cousin are all coeliac and my sister has a wheat intorrerance.

Jan, if you can't eat spelt, can you obtain a good gluten free flour and subsitue that. GF flours can be a bit 'dry' compared to wheat flours but if you add a bit more liquid you should be ok.

Regard the sugar: Caster sugar is finer than granulated sugar, but not as fine as icing sugar (the one that is like really fine dust). If you don't have caster sugar you can put some granulated in a blender and wizz it up for a few seconds to make it finer.

According to a couple of recipe book I've just looked in the American term for Caster Sugar is Superfine Sugar and Icing Sugar translates to Confectioners Sugar.

FO: Downton Hat

A sweater of a thousand yards begins with a single stitch. Lao-tzu's Granny

Last edited by Dclutterchique : 08-01-2013 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Mispelt correct. Oh, the irony!
Dclutterchique is offline   Reply With Quote