View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

I'm not currently working on a dishcloth, but I am working on a placemat based on a towel pattern:

Basket Rib Hand Towel pattern
Ravelry Link
Blog Link

I don't have a photo of it yet, but I am about to frog it for the third time; maybe I'll take a picture of it before I do.

Long story short is that I can't seem to make up my mind what I'm doing with it -- one strand or two? how many stitches to start? gauge swatch or not? dishcloth as a gauge swatch or not? I think I need a support group!

So far I've tried one strand at 50 stitches (long tail cast on, good width but too thin after 4 pattern repeats), two strands at 62 stitches (long tail cast on, too wide after two pattern repeats), and 32 stitches (cable cast on, 4 pattern repeats) However, I forgot that the pattern is multiples of 4 plus 2, so my pattern is a bit off in addition to being 10 inches wide -- much too big for a simple gauge swatch/dishcloth.

I'm going to frog it, cast on either 26 or 30 stitches, and then keep going until it's square, bind off, and toss in the washer. I mean it this time! Maybe.

I'm obviously overthinking this. I need the inspiration of some success stories!
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote