Thread: Knitting in art
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 01:33 PM   #5
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,248 Times in 2,744 Posts
I saw the original link on FB, via Lion Brand I think, to a picture that made me think of Miss Haversham sitting by the table with the wedding cake in Great Expectations and looked at some of the shots on the first page. I'm glad I'd seen what you wrote. They are disturbing. I think one of the things that makes them so disturbing is that they reflect how we feel about the world we live in.

It struck me recently that one of the things I love about knitting is that I can make things come out the way they should or alter a pattern by my choice in my own way, rip it out and start again if I want. There is always that moment at the end of a row when the stitch count comes out right, maybe after I've reworked it, and for that moment all is right with my world. I love seeing things line up as they should. There is just something about a set of needles, yarn, and printed words on a page and I make them come together to be something, it really does seem magical. I need something where things work out the way they are supposed to or can be discarded and not cause any major upheaval. In the photos and in real life, knitting seems to impose a small bit of order and creativity in a world where I often feel I have no control.

Quote:
Charlotte

justcharlotte on Ravelry

“Why do you have a cigarette lighter in your glove compartment?" her husband, Jack, asked her. "I'm bored with knitting. I've taken up arson.”
― Audrey Niffenegger, Her Fearful Symmetry
There could well be a lot more truth in that comment than we care to realize. Humor is so often based on things that scare the living daylights out of us. It helps us deal with reality.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (08-30-2013), Woofens (08-28-2013)