View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
BABEDOO
Casting On

PRO KNITTER WANTED: HELP DECIPHER MY RAGLAN SWEATER WITH ASYMMETRICAL BUTTON SEAM PATTERN
HELLO KNITTERS ,

I have taken on a new Raglan Sleeve Pullover Sweater in a checked seed stitch pattern which has an asymmetrical button seam along the turtle neck. I have knit the back and almost the entire front, but I am having trouble with the final neck shaping as I can't figure out how it will come together as a asymmetrical button seam. I have redone it 3 times now and I would love someone with more experience then I who can validate what I have done or tell me how to do it properly. I have never done a raglan sleeve before either so it may just be my ignorance in this area.

I have written out the actual pattern section that I am having trouble with and will also attach a pdf of the entire pattern with a picture at the end of my post.

ACTUALLY PATTERN INSTRUCTIONS FOR NECK SHAPING

RS Next Row - k2, k2tog, k10, join second ball of yarn and bind off center 11 sts, work to last 4 sts, ssk, k2. Working both sides at once continue armhole shaping, AT SAME TIME, bind off from each neck edge 4 sts once, 3 sts once, 2 sts once. After all decreases have been worked, fasten off last stitch each side.

MY INTERPRETATION OF THE ABOVE INSTRUCTIONS

RS Row 1 - k2, k2tog, k10, additional ball of yarn is joined so that I have two active yarns, bind of center 11 stitches with new yarn added, k to last 4 sts, ssk, k2.

Row 2 and 3 - Bind off 4 sts, k to end of 1st half, with 2nd yarn k to last 4 sts, ssk, k2

Row 4 and 5 - Bind off 3 sts, k to end of 1st half, with 2nd yarn k to last 4 sts, ssk, k2

Row 6 and 7 - Bind off 2 sts, k to end of 1st half, with 2nd yarn k to last 4 sts, ssk, k2

WS Row 8 - Bind off final remaining stitch of 1st half, with 2nd yarn bind off final remaining stitch

* Notes * If I do not add the ssk, k2 at the end of each row, I end up with 4 or 5 stitches remaining when I am supposed to be binding off the final stitch. I also tried binding off the stitches in the same rows, for example Row 2 - Bind off 4 sts, k to end of 1st half, with 2nd yarn bind off 4 sts and k to end. Row 3 - Bind off 3 sts, k to end of 1st half, with 2nd yarn bind off 3 sts and k to end and so on. This didn't look right to me, so I then adopted the above method.

QUESTIONS I REALLY NEED ANSWERED

When doing the neck shaping, should I continue with the checked seed stitch pattern used over this entire sweater or should I have just done the knit stitches?

Do I have this pattern done correctly in the neck shaping section?

Can you send me a link or an example of what this front piece should look like before it is sewn together as I can't seem to figure out how it fits together to make this asymmetrical button band?

Attached below is a copy of my pattern, I really need an old pro's help here. I know I have many questions, but if you would kindly look at the pdf and give me your expert assessment I would really appreciate it.

Thanks, Babedoo
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	25.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	57004  Click image for larger version

Name:	62.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	57005  
BABEDOO is offline   Reply With Quote