View Single Post
Old 09-06-2013, 09:22 AM   #4
NorthernIrelandKnitter
1st Leg of the Journey

Ok, firstly here are a couple of pictures of the first design I came up with. One is the front view and the other is taken from the side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	!st Mini Tea Cosy Design.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	57010

Name:	First Tea Cosy Design 2.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	57011

As you can see, it doesn't look much like a tea cosy at all, but to get the gaps for the spout and handle, I just slipped the slip stitches on to a separate needle and knit the 2 sets of stitches separately for a few rows before rejoining them on the one needle.

GG, decreasing in double-knitting is fiddly, but increasing can be more straightforward. The best method I found was to make a stitch by lifting the running thread below the next slipped stitch. I forget exactly how I got the increases on both lots of stitches, but found this helpful: http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=74430 and also this: http://www.stitchdiva.com/tutorials/...e-one-increase. I have scribbled notes somewhere to assist me - if I come across them I'll pass them on.

I cast on about 4 stitches and knit a couple of rounds before doing increasing, which I did before making the gaps. Again, I have forgotten all the details - I should have written it down at the time - can't you tell I'm a novice at designing lol? I think I knit a couple of rows straight before binding off tubular/double-knit style.

Here is a picture of the result - looking slightly more like a tea cosy.

I have not yet figured out how to apply what I have learned to a normal-sized tea cosy, but will post here when I have.

Gillian
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	Photo0398 Tiny Tea Cosy.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	57012  
NorthernIrelandKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NorthernIrelandKnitter For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (09-06-2013)