View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 11:45 AM   #16
butlersabroad
Knitting the Flap

Like a lot of people I remember both my mam and my Gran knitting and crocheting when I was a kid. My Gran especially made the most intricate crocheted doilies that I'd ever seen, she used what looked like sewing thread, it was so fine. I was taught to knit but never took to it, riding bikes and falling out of trees was more my style!

Fast forward about 30+ years and I was a mission to simplify. I was growing summer veggies, de-cluttering and looking at ways to reduce our footprint on the earth. On another forum, someone mentioned knitted dishcloths and wash cloths, and I realized that I could break our reliance on paper towels for everything if I knitted my own cloths! The paper towels had become my latest target in my simplification quest!

About a month later my mam and brother visited from England. She'd hardly stepped through the front door before I presented her with needles and cotton and asked to be taught how to knit again! I, and she, were amazed by how much I remembered once I got going. I knit a lot of dishcloths that year!

Naturally I moved on, I still knit the cloths when the old ones wear out but I now also knit other small things like gloves, hats and socks. I'm determined to improve and I'm working on my first cabled project at the moment, I'm also working up to a bigger item, like a vest or jumper perhaps.

I'm so glad I did all of that decluttering about four years ago.... I must have been subconsciously making space for all the yarn I didn't know I'd be needing!!

Oh, and I don't fall out of trees any more but I do still do a lot of bike riding!!

OTN:
Cool Cabled Bag For Me
Rhombus Socks For Me
Stripey Jays Socks For Me
butlersabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to butlersabroad For This Useful Post:
Woofens (09-12-2013)