View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #3
claireweber
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by butlersabroad View Post
I want to make this scarf for my husband for Christmas.

He chose the wool recently on a trip to Northern Michigan, it's Stonehedge Fibres Yarn in a dark red with tweedy black flecks. But it's worsted weight and the pattern calls for DK. It's not a complicated pattern but the heavier weight yarn will affect how it looks.... so should I use smaller needles? Cast on less stitches? Or just go for it and see what happens? I want to knit it at work during my lunch break so he doesn't see it, which means I can't really knit and block a swatch before starting the project. What would you advise I do?
I love the scarf and the idea of sneaky knitting is so sweet You can certainly knit this scarf in the worsted weight, I would alter the finished dimensions of the scarf slightly due to the fact that it will be a bit of a bulkier fabric - increase the width to maybe 5 1/2 or 6" and decrease the length, maybe 72". You can do a small swatch to determine not only gauge but which needle size you would prefer. You might initially do a swatch in a size 8 needle and see if you are happy with the look. HTH

BTW I this stitch pattern.
butlersabroad (09-13-2013)