View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #1
Schliggle
Casting On

Please help with pattern
Hi everybody,

I'm new to knitting and so have tried to pick out a rather simple pattern to begin with.

It's a headband that includes only knits and purls, which I understand. What I don't understand is the increasing and decreasing.

I know I only increase on the "right side" with are only odd rows, but I'm a little confused as to which purls I increase into and when, etc. When I tried with increasing, I did not know what to do with the extra stitches I increased when I got to the "wrong side", as the pattern does not tell you how to do each row by row.

If anybody is able to translate this pattern so that I am able to understand it like a 5 year old might be able to, that would be great.

Thank you for any of your time, and I'm sorry for any of my poor explainations.

PATTERN:

Headband:
Start at center back. Cast on 19 sts.
Work in rib as follows:
Row 1 (right side): K 1 (edge st knit in garter st), * K 2, P 1 * repeat a total of 5 times – finish row with K 2 and K 1 (edge st knit in garter st).
Row 2 (wrong side): K 1 (edge st knit in garter st), * P 2, K 1 * repeat a total of 5 times – finish row with P 2 and K 1 (edge st knit in garter st).
Make all incs on right side rows, inc by P 2 sts into 1 P stitch.
When the piece measures 8 cm/3" inc all P 1 to P 2 = 24 sts.
When the piece measures 14 cm/5" inc all P 2 to P 3 = 29 sts.
When the piece measures 18 cm/7" inc all P 3 to P 4 = 34 sts.
When the piece measures 21 cm/ 8 1/4" inc all P 4 to P 5 = 39 sts.
When the piece measures 24 cm/ 9" place a marker = this is the center of headband.
Now reverse shaping – measure from marker.
Make all decs on right side rows, dec by P2 tog. (opposite of inc)

When the piece measures a total of 48 cm/ 19" bind off and sew to cast on edge.

Last edited by Schliggle : 10-04-2013 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Edited due to copyright issues
Schliggle is offline   Reply With Quote