Thread: Hat too short
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2013, 02:45 AM   #4
DogCatMom
Knitting the Flap

I made a hat in a knitting class in 2011 for myself, just 2 months after learning to knit. I was SO HAPPY when I finally finished it--I wear something on my head every day, either a scarf or a hat, and this was a NEW HAT.

So...I'm getting dressed the morning after finishing the hat. I've gotten an outfit together that goes with the NEW HAT's color and all.

I put the hat on and...oh dear god. Even though I ripped it back when the traveling diagonals just weren't right and the DPNs were driving me crazy and knit the silly thing again from the CO on up using Traveling Loop, rather than use THREE sets of needles per the instructor's directions, it barely touched the tops of my ears.

I put on a different head covering and thought deep, dark thoughts about the knitting instructor, then re-counted the rows on the hat. They were exactly as they should have been.

I picked up stitches around the bottom of the hat and **crocheted** on a frill. The CO was 88 sts. This is what I did:

1) Pick up and crochet 88 sc around the base of the hat.

2) 2 dc in each sc; 176 sts total.

3) 1 hdc in each dc; 176 sts total.

The hat was in Cascade 100% wool "normal" weight; maybe a light worsted? The "frill" is in Koigu KPPPM and adds just short of 1 inch (2 cm) to the length of the hat. It's now quite wearable.
DogCatMom is offline   Reply With Quote