View Single Post
Old 11-15-2013, 07:00 AM   #5
Dclutterchique
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm not on a GF diet, but my mother is a dianosed coeliac (or celiac to give the US spelling) and has to follow a GF diet.

I totally suport GG's statement to read labels carefully. It's not always the obvious foods that cause problems, but the unobvious ones.

Here's the link to the (American) Celiac Disease Foundation's website: http://celiac.org/. Their section on Living Guten Free has lots of helpful advice.

Get all the family onside.

Avoiding packet mixes and ready meals, but cooking from scratch is the simplest way to control what's in your food.

Not all brands are created equal. For example, one brand of ketchup will use wheat flour as a thickener, but another one wont.

As you are running a household and looking after a family, have and prepare foods that work for all of you (where possible). E.g. instead of making a sauce or gravy thickened with regular flour for your family and a GF duplicate thickened with corn starch or arrowroot for yourself, make one GF quanity for all of you.

If you use a toaster you will either need to invest in a new, seperate, toaster for you, or use toaster bags for your GF bread. Oh, and seperate butter or spread from the rest of the family to prevent cross-contamination. For jams/jellies, peanut butter etc, you can have seperate serving spoons (with the strict rule they are washed before re-entering the jar if one even thinks they have touched the non-GF food) or you could use the main jar and (re-)portion out to a second container for the rest of the family. Remember they can have non-GF contaminated food, but you can't take back GF contaminated food.

I don't know about GF bread in the US, but in the UK it had a very short (fresh) shelf life, so the freezer will proberbly be your best friend. In fact, you may find it easier to organise your freezer baskets or drawers into 'Mine', 'Ours' and 'Yours' for food.

It sounds alarmest, but these things very quickly become 'normal' for all of you.

I hope that is a good starting point and the best of luck.

A sweater of a thousand yards begins with a single stitch. Lao-tzu's Granny
Dclutterchique is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dclutterchique For This Useful Post:
Woofens (11-16-2013)