View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 05:09 PM   #7
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Have to wholeheartedly agree with all of our answers! Lifelines and Stitch Markers! I've even used different sets of colors across long rows, then marked those colors on my pattern using colored pens. Anything to keep myself oriented.

I'm working on the Kathy Kelly Cabled Capelet now. Oy vey. Top down, starting with 54 neckline stitches, increasing to 500 by row 93 and binding off.

No chart provided. Line by line by line written directions, each row different. So I'm using post-it sticky notes to mask the rows above and below the current working row to prevent my old eyes from jumping to another row!

Now I'll tell ya another secret I use on these kinds of rows: at the end of each RS 'working' busy row, and before turning the work around to knit the WS, I count my stitches between each stitch marker, just to be sure no increases have been forgotten!

Does this take extra time? It certainly does! But if I discover a boo-boo on that row, I can tink back to that boo-boo and fix it now instead of many rows later.

On the capelet I'm knitting now, the stitches between each stitch marker have increased to 35 (from the original 6)... the rows have become more complicated.... so after I pass each stitch marker, I stop and count stitches. Just to be sure all my stitches are there.

I hate losing track or losing count. But by taking careful precautions, going slow & accurate, using tools like stitch markers, lifelines, post-it notes, colored pens & highlighters...all these things help me stay on track.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
jinxnit55 (01-07-2014)