View Single Post
Old 03-01-2014, 10:55 PM   #5
Working the Gusset
Joining and chaining one at the beginning of each round leaves you with a wonky line that goes diagonally. It's very unsightly and noticeable. I prefer to crochet hats in a spiral. You will chain the number of stitches required into the ring, join, but do not chain. Crochet your hat all the way around on each round after that. I place a marker at the last stitch of each round so I know where I'm at. Slip the marker at each round. I use commercial markers but you could use a safety pin or my favorite, a bobby pin. It holds tightly and releases quickly when you reposition it. I don't see any reason for the chain either. The main body is a simple hat pattern. The only reason I could see for the join and chain up is if you're doing stripes and want them to match up. Personally, I'd do it as a spiral. When you end the piece in a spiral, I like (if I'm doing double crochet) to stop four stitches from the end of the round. Do a half double stitch, then a single crochet stitch, then two slip stitches in a row. This transitions the edge so it looks even when you end it.
Welsh corgis are cool.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatoldladyinpjs For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (03-01-2014)