View Single Post
Old 05-26-2014, 05:13 PM   #1
XtopherCB
Turning the Heel

mountain colors weavers wool for bootcut sweater
has anybody used mountain colors yarns? specifically their "weavers wool" or "weavers wool quarters"?

i'm going to take the plunge and make a sweater. i found a pattern i really like, and the recommended yarn is from that company. however 3 things. 1) that colorway is no longer listed/available on their site (http://www.mountaincolorsyarn.com). 2) on the info page for all their yarns it does say a fair bit of information, except the worsted weight category and 3) they haven't returned 2 emails in 2 weeks. (and other things on the site are outdated, leading me to think they're not as tech-focused as they are sheep- and yarn-focused).

basic info on that line: "Weaver's Wool. Soft and practical yarn spun for a wide variety of knitting and weaving projects. Sett = 8-10 e.p.i. ( i think they meant WPI) NOT re-skeined. Available in all Colorways. 100% Wool. 1450 yd/skein 16 oz hank. gauge 20 sts - 3.5”. needle size 4-6. so should i be able to figure out the weight from this info somehow?

also the pattern actually says to use size 7 needles and that the gauge is 20 st and 28 rows is 4" in stockinette, if that makes a difference. for that gauge, and the size i want to make, i need 2 big skeins or 5-6 quarter-sized skeins (1750-2100 yards total).

it's the 'bootcut sweater' from "knitting with balls" by michael del vecchio. i'd post the pattern but can't find it digitally (and the author is HYPER-sensitive about copyright, even for help requests). it IS listed on ravelry, but again, with missing information, and an incorrect picture (shows the book's cover version which is a basic sweater, not the actual bootcut sweater picture that's shown inside the book). and on ravelry it says it's a DK sport weight, but not an actual number. and since it doesn't link to the yarn mfr. and has question marks on it, i don't know how correct that is (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/bootcut-sweater)

anyway, the big reason i'm asking this is for figuring out the worsted weight, so that when i go to joann's, michael's, craft warehouse, hobby lobby, walmart, wherever, for my wool or mostly-wool or wool-alternative yarn (not allergic, just don't like the feel unless it's soft merino, and even then it's $$$$), i can find the appropriate weight and yardage.

if i didn't muddle all that too much and you know the answer or can help me figure it out, i'd appreciate it. thanks!

Last edited by XtopherCB : 05-26-2014 at 05:36 PM. Reason: grammar, spelling, punctuation...
XtopherCB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to XtopherCB For This Useful Post:
abobbycahsa7918 (06-26-2014), anesstivanov4215 (05-31-2014), Sheilakide (07-05-2014)