View Single Post
Old 06-14-2014, 10:08 PM   #75
XtopherCB
Turning the Heel

hi all...

i'm (kris) 'topher and i'm new to it all, still. and needy. and opinionated (i like what i like, what can i say?)

1) What is your favorite yarn?
cheap and clean. so far, i prefer cottons and blends. full-on wool is not a good choice for me - too warm, and itchy. tho when i get to my first pair of socks that doesn't get frogged after an hour, i may have to revisit that and settle for a recycled/polyester/bamboo/fair-trade/shade-grown/gluten-free/baby-bjorn/5%-wool something or other.

2) What is your favorite thing to knit?
dishcloths (to pair up with also-new-to-it soapmaking) and cowls. my first project was supposed to be socks, in order to skip all that dishcloth and scarf learning nonsense. that didn't happen.

3) Who is your favorite designer?
anybody with clear/full directions and the ability to say 'seriously this is hard, don't even attempt if you're a newbie, go practice another scarf.' anybody who designs for men. actual things actual men would actually wear/use. knitted kilts and tea cozies don't count.

4) Which knitting magazine is your favorite?
no favorites, just skim whatever's new and interesting in the checkout line at joann's. learn more what to avoid than what to do.

5) Are you a Raveler yet?
yes, same screen name there. but it doesn't do much for me. very $$$- and designer-based and overwhelmingly feminine designs. still, it's a resource, sometimes.

6) How many years have you been knitting?
about 2 years off and on at this point.

7) Do you crochet as well?
ha, no, i'll stick with one of the dark arts at a time. also, until you get to the advanced skills, most of the patterns look "ages 5-10 loom knitting."

8) Do you live in the Puget Sound area? East of the mts? The Coast? Southern?
grew up an army brat, lived many places, but was lucky to stick mostly to western washington, where both parents and extended families are also from. puyallup, spanaway, all over seattle and kent. longest stretches have been various times on fort lewis, a 15ish year stretch in the olympia/lacey area, and current home in yakima since 2004.

9) What are your prime knitting hours?
usually night time, during netflix binge-watching, about 2-3x a week.

10) What is your favorite knitting 'how to/help" book?
actually one i just got from the local library last week - "circular knitting workshop: essential techniques to master knitting in the round" by margaret radcliffe. has info on all knitting levels, converting flat patterns to circular, patterns for bags, hats, shawls, socks, mittens, gloves and sweaters, and at 320 pages, most with full color pictures or illustrations, is incredibly helpful. might just have to buy it outright. honorable mention, solely because of the 'bootcut sweater', my own personal unicorn, is 'knitting with balls" by michael del vecchio.
OTK: 10-stitch blanket that i'm not liking, modified arrowhead pattern scarf/cowl that i'm also not liking, more almost lost wash cloths, and SOCKS SoCkS sOcKs for the first time. and now 2nd time. and now 3rd time...
XtopherCB is offline   Reply With Quote