View Single Post
Old 12-31-2004, 03:01 PM   #2
Site Admin
amy's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Western Massachusetts
Posts: 3,807
Thanks: 354
Thanked 775 Times in 162 Posts
I just noticed those in the store for the first time a couple of weeks ago. If they've turned you into a knitter, then there must be something to them!

I'm curious about them. They work like a knitting spool, right? Where you just wrap the working yarn around the outside, then hook the existing stitch over the new yarn?

How do you do a hat? Do you actually decrease for the top, using the different size frames? (I can see how this would work, but it seems like it would be a bit tricky to maneuver.) Or do you just knit a cylinder and bunch it in at the top?

It seems like it would be possible to do knit-purl ribbing on such a contraption (if it has the right number of stitches), but not a row of all purling (not easily that is).

I could see them being fun to use for some projects, but I could never use them, because their fixed number of stitches, and gauge limitations, would drive me nuts! LOL! I like using my double pointed needles, where I can increase and decrease on a whim, and easily switch from knit to purl, and cast-on any number of stitches I need, etc.! But I can see how these frames would be less intimidating, and exciting for a new knitter. I'm curious to see some of the things that have been knit on these, and what they are capable of!

KnittingHelp Queen Bee

“It is not because things are so difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”
— Seneca
amy is offline   Reply With Quote