View Single Post
Old 01-17-2005, 03:39 PM   #19
Egeria
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to Egeria Send a message via Yahoo to Egeria
Hiya Hildegard, thanks for your reply! I would agree with you on the 'accept reality' idea but in my case, I generally accept certain situations that I cannot change. If my bus is late for example, rather than rant and rave like other passengers, I sit and read or knit and be thankful for the extra time! When it comes to things that happen during my day I am a little more accepting of it, especially when I cannot and know I cannot change things.

However, like Roxanne said, with people the dynamic is different. Living together means my husband and I have to make allowances for each other (like I don't rail at him for drinking out of the carton and he doesn't get upset when I squeeze the toothpaste from the middle) and that's fine with me.

But when I specifically ask him to respect my space and my hobby I feel I should be able to expect him to show that respect. And accepting that he does not respect me is, in my opinion, unacceptable! I don't want to roll over and think my husband can't (or simply won't) show me respect!!

Does that make any sense?! Or am I splitting hairs here?