View Single Post
Old 04-16-2005, 04:32 PM   #1
jessmoor
Ribbing the Cuff

"work 3 rows even"????
Hi everyone! I'm sure this is simple, but I have limited experience with patterns & I'm not sure if I'm interpreting this right... :thinking:

The pattern says:

Proceed in stocking st as follows:
Next row: (RS). K1. K2tog. Knit to last 3 sts. Sl1. K1. psso. K1. 89 sts.
Work 3 rows even.
Rep last 4 rows to 75 sts.

My question is, does working 3 rows even in st st meen that I purl one row, knit one row, then purl one row, as with normal st st (the first row above would be the first k row)? This is what I thought, but then in order to get down to 75 sts (the next part of the instructions), I would have to repeat those 4 rows 7 times (2 decreases on the first row only).

This is the pattern for the http://www.patonsyarns.com/pattern.php?PID=1309&PHPSESSID=f733dfe00c8b29df315 6a06412982447 The problem is that doing the pattern as I interpreted it above made the poncho seem much too long. Also, I noticed that I was using more yarn (yardage) than the pattern called for - I had to go out a buy extra - so the evidence makes me think the pattern is different.

Is the 4 row repeat instead supposed to be: knit the first row (with the decreases), purl the next row, knit the first row again, then purl the next row? That would mean 4 decreases per every 4 rows, so to get down to 75 stitches I would only repeat those 4 rows 3 times (instead of 7)? This would use a lot less yarn, and the poncho would be shorter.

What do you guys think?

Knitters Geek Code
KCR++ Exp SPM+ Metal+ Wood+ WoodCirc+++ Nov++* Stash+ Scale Fin>+ Ent? FI? Int? Tex?>+ Lace+ Flat Circ>++ ML?>++ FO5 WIP3 ALT=Em+
jessmoor is offline   Reply With Quote