View Single Post
Old 04-28-2006, 08:40 PM   #6
mulene
Working the Gusset

When I first learned to knit, it was as a kid at school, I think I was around about 8 years old and the craze lasted all of 3 months. Then when I was 18 I saw a sweater I fell in love with and HAD to have. It was cotton and short sleeved for the summer, very much in the 1940's style. At around that time, a magazine came out which was a week on week build up to learn the knitting craft called Creative Knitting. A free folder came with the first part and I ended up subscribing to it.

I got every single edition of that magazine and I followed the instructions, eventually I knitted my sweater. It was too small, so I knitted it again in a different colour and it fit perfectly. I still have the magazines somewhere.

Skip 20 years to around about a month ago where a local charity shop had the Creative Knitting folder and all the patterns / magazines included. I ignored it and wondered where my own was. I couldn't find mine so I went back and for 50 pence (around about $1) I got the thing.

Then I searched on this new fangled thing called the world wide web, and fell onto Knittinghelp.com.

I watched Amy's videos, read as much as I could and picked the needles up again. My biggest hurdle was remembering how to cast on. Didn't matter, I soon got it when I watched Amy's video.

You've got the very first basic thing down already, you know how to pick up a pair of needles.

It totally sucks that they cancelled it on you, I agree they COULD have carried on, I mean they were only 1 person short. However, their loss is your gain because you have found this place and I can honestly say, there is no place greater on the web.

You could get a beginners knittng book (I picked up a good housekeeping pocket size book from ebay) and work through the projects in that. We will always be here to help if you get stuck

My First Finished Project in 20 years!: Sirdar Foxy Scarf!

mulene is offline   Reply With Quote