View Single Post
Old 08-05-2006, 06:33 PM   #2
AidanM
Turning the Heel

If you like English style knitting, and it's plenty fast enough for your tastes, then there's no reason to switch just because "everybody else is doing it." - We have lots of English knitters on the boards.

The only way I've found to even up my flat stockinette in Continental is to actually use the Combined method of purling where you wrap the yarn clockwise instead of counterclockwise (Counterclockwise is the way you ordinarily wrap the yarn) and then when you go down your knit row, you knit through the loop at the back of the needle because all of your stitches are twisted by the Combined purl and the Combined knit is meant to untwist them. The only thing about combined knitting is that you have to adapt all the increases and decreases because of the twisting and untwisting of the stitches - It causes the decreases and increases to lean differently.

All of this is quite a headache for me, so I prefer to knit in the round whenever possible or use garter stitch which Elizabeth Zimmerman was so fond of.

------Begin Knitter's Geek Code Block------

Version: 1.1

KCR Exp> Spm-> Bam+ Alu+ Syn+++ Nov--- Cot++ Wool++ Lux Hemp+ Stash++> Scale+> Fin@ Ent? FI !Int--- Tex+ Lace Felt- Flat Circ DPN Swatch- KIP++ SNB- EZ+++ FO> WIP+++ WGauge+ Cr+++ Sw+ Wv?> Sp?>

------End Knitter's Geek Code Block-----
AidanM is offline   Reply With Quote