View Single Post
Old 08-09-2006, 08:32 PM   #1
windbringer1
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to windbringer1
Knitting with two balls for a shawl--how to do?
Hey all. I recently purchased some beautiful handdyed handspun to make a shawl for my girlfriend. The pattern is that really basic dishcloth stitch, triangular shawl one: K1, YO, K to end and repeat. I recently made myself the same shaw out of Lorna's laces and had no problem. The stitch is so simple that it really shows off color well.

But I really want to make sure that the color won't pool, or look weird when I switch to a new skein--this yarn doesn't have dyelots, I don't think. My Lorna's shawl did pool some, but it ended up being an effect I liked. In case that is not true for the yarn I just bought:

How exactly would you suggest I knit from two balls on a garment where both sides are visible? I really don't want to weave in 500 million ends; is there a way to do it that won't involve breaking yarn every row? I'm concerned that carrying the extra yarn up (like you do for hats) will not look good.

This is a dilemma. Please advise, and thanks in advance! Any experience in this vein is greatly appreciated!

PS: There's really no way to know how it'll pool (or not) other than just going for it, is there. :(
windbringer1 is offline   Reply With Quote