View Single Post
Old 09-04-2006, 10:30 PM   #2
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Re: Lost at the Beginning of a Pattern!!!
For the cast on, I always do a long-tail cast on. I have not found anything that didn't work with that kind of cast on so I use it for all of my projects.

Now about the increases. A good basic increase is to knit into front and back of the stitch. If you are unfamiliar on how to do that, take a look at the 'Abbreviations Explained' tab at the top of this page and you will find a video demonstrating how to do it. It's a good, all-purpose increase that is easy to learn. And this part of the instruction....

Inc 1 st at each end of next row and 10 foll 4th row (100 sts)
Work 7 rows in st st ending with a WS row. 50 rows worked.

Let's say the first row that you are going to be doing increases on is called row 1. What it is asking you to do is increase 1 stitch at the beginning and the end of row 1, and every following 4th row, 10 times. So in other words, increase at beginning and end of rows 1, 5, 9, 13, 17, 21, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41. A good tip for placing increases at the beginnings and ends of rows is this....at the beginning of the row, work the first stitch normally and make the increase in the second stitch, then at the end of the row, work to 2 stitches left, work the increase into the second to last stitch and then knit the last stitch normally. This just makes things easier for seaming if the increases aren't right at the edge of the work.

After this, work 7 rows in stockinette stitch. Your first stockinette row following the above increases will be on a wrong side row (purl row). So you will work
purl row
knit row
purl row
knit row
purl row
knit row
purl row

Hope this helps.
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote