View Single Post
Old 12-06-2006, 03:14 PM   #5
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by suzeeq
It's a cast on, not a row.

sue
Oh no. We're not going to resurrect that argument again, are we? I really believe that there is no wrong way to knit, and this one of those issues that not everyone agrees on. To present your opinion as fact presumes there's only one way to look at it, and I don't think it's fair to the OP not to reflect both sides, especially since a lot of books (and our very own Amy) suggest starting with a wrong side row. Whether you count it as a row or not, the two sides look very different. Why not choose the one you like better to be the "right side"?

Of course, if you don't want to count the c/o as a row but don't happen to like the purl side of the c/o being on the "right side" of the work, you can use the other version of long-tail which puts the purl bumps on the other side. I learned it recently and like it a lot. That way I can start with my first right side row and have the c/o edge I like in the front. Pretty groovy, huh?

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote