View Single Post
Old 12-06-2006, 08:40 PM   #8
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by suzeeq
Well I'm sorry if I came off as blunt, but that's me at times. I had no intention of starting anything, which was why I didn't say anything else.
No big deal. I know you didn't intend to start anything -- it just bugged me that it was stated as fact rather than opinion.

Originally Posted by suzeeq
It's called a cast on and many people don't count it as a row at any time.
A lot do, though. Just wanted to clarify that. I really have no opinion whether it should be counted as a row or not -- I just happen to like the way one side looks better than the other so the first row I do after the cast on is a usually a wrong-side row.

Anyway... If anyone wants to try the other way of doing long-tail that makes the purl bumps on the opposite side, I found a site that has pictures. Alternating the knit and purl versions of the cast-on works amazingly well for ribbing -- if you look at the close-up picture given in the link, the cast-on blends right into the rest of the fabric. Looks better than tubular cast-on for 2x2 rib, IMO.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote