View Single Post
Old 12-08-2006, 01:22 PM   #10
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

This is so cool! I just found this nifty little article about long-tail cast-on that has great pictures showing the two different sides. What's interesting is that she says that she likes using each as the "right side" in different instances -- she likes the purl-side (the one Sue likes) for free-standing edges because it lies flatter, and she likes likes the knit-side (the one I like) for edges that will later be sewn because it's easier to seam. Good to know. She also has a tip for casting on without having to estimate how much tail you need. (You may have seen that one before, but if you haven't, it's a clever idea.)

The one thing I disagree with was her assessment that alternating the knit and purl versions of long-tail cast-on (for ribbing) is difficult and takes a long time. Once you figure it out, it doesn't take any longer than just doing the knit version. The motions are very similar.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote