View Single Post
Old 01-05-2007, 01:25 PM   #4
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

I have been looking for such a book as well. As much as I would love to have all of Barbara Walker's Treasuries (link goes to Vol. 1), $30 a pop for each volume (and there are several) is just too steep. I finally went ahead and bought The Ultimate Sourcebook of Knitting and Crochet Stitches. It came in the mail this morning.

The book is about half knit and half crochet -- maybe the second half will inspire me to pick up a hook for something other than correcting mistakes. The stitch patterns are apparently compiled from The Harmony Guides, another multi-volume offering. They don't include every stitch pattern from the Guides, but there is a decent selection. I like that the photos are in color, but I wish the individual patterns included comments as the Walker books do. Oh, and in case this is important to you... the book doesn't include charts, only written instructions. But the same is the case with the early Walker volumes as well.

Other knitting stitch books include the Vogue Stitchionaries (another series), Mon Tricot (these will be vintage), and some that aren't coming to mind at the moment. There are specialized ones too -- for cables or lace, for example. I think in terms of value for money, the one I chose is pretty good. One day I'd like to get the Walker books, but they are really difficult to find inexpensively as even used copies command close to retail prices.

BTW, many general knitting books include modest stitch libraries as well.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote