View Single Post
Old 03-03-2007, 11:53 PM   #1
cookworm
Working the Gusset

Can I lengthen a finished shawl? (Question about edging too)
I made this lace poncho, except I wanted to keep it a rectangle and use it as a shawl so I didn't sew it up. It came out great...I was really surprised because I had made some mistakes along the way while knitting the pattern, but I was able to go back and fix each one because I counted my stitches on every "resting" row (thanks to helpful advice from KH members! ), so I was aware right away on when I missed something. It was a small victory for me because this is the first time I've knitted a lace pattern and was able to not only fix my mistakes, but actually find them!

So my only problem is that I knitted to the 55" length, and I guess I wasn't allowing for it being a shawl (the largest length for the poncho was 55"), so for me, it's a bit short. It's not a huge deal, but I was hoping I could add some length to it if at all possible. I could crochet something on either end, but how might this look if it's not exactly the same pattern as the main body of the shawl? Also, how would a crochet border look attached to the garter stitch border? Would it look "added on" as an afterthought because there's a garter stitch border all around the shawl?
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	swatch_155.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	37186  

I'm on flickr, too!
I love to knit shawls...after all, a girl can't have too many shawls!
cookworm is offline   Reply With Quote