View Single Post
Old 04-20-2007, 04:37 PM   #19
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by tarrentella
For example i whent through a phase of being disrespectful with my fammily (as do all teenagers lets face it) she grounded me, took away my tv, talked to me shouted at me all sorts. But only when she quitee deliberatly stopped showing me respect did it get though. I was not grounded for a time, and during that tme, if i asked for somthing i would get a rude answer, my dinner might not always be cooked for me, anything i did got no acknowledgment and so on. At first i could ignore it, but after a short while i realised how horrible it was to be treated in such a way and apologised to my mum and got my act together.
I have absolutely no experience with adolescents (except for having been one many, many years ago), but I have to say that the above approach makes sense to me. As a teenager, it took me a long time to realize that my Mom's feelings were hurt when I teased her about her weight. I don't know why, but I guess I just thought she was immune to such things. I think it's possible that your daughter is similarly clueless about how much she hurts you. Rather than taking away her privileges (which may just make her more angry and rebellious) maybe a healthy dose of enlightenment would do some good.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote