View Single Post
Old 05-23-2007, 05:52 PM   #8
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by CateKnits View Post
Ohhh, nice! I really want to make one of these, but I'm afraid of the hem. Are you going to put the leaves on the bottom of the ties?
Cate, the hem was SO easy. I'd never done anything like it before so I was nervous too, but all it is is a yo, K2tog row, followed by a couple more inches of straight stockinette which is then bound off. You fold the hem right at the eyelet row, then with your yarn tail (I left a LONG tail and it wasn't long enough) in a tapestry needle, you start inserting it through the first bound off stitch, then through a purl bump on the back of your work, then through the second bound off stitch and the next purl bump on the same row, etc. It took a while and was a bit tedious but it came out great.

And no, I'm not going to do the leaves at the bottom of the ties. I made one leaf and it was much bigger than I thought it would be plus I just didn't like how it looked. So I'm just doing plain i-cord and I may buy some kind of beads or something to sew to the bottoms of the ties.