View Single Post
Old 07-22-2007, 11:45 AM   #1
giedre11
Ribbing the Cuff

Math challenged!
Please forgive me if this question has been asked before, but I just can't seem to understand my yardage requirements for sweaters. I know they are often given with each pattern, but I often change the pattern {make it longer, add on a hood, etc}I do know that if my yarn gives me a gauge of 4 stitches per inch, I generally require roughly 2200 yards to make what I want. Now if I get a yarn that gives me say, 3 stitches per inch, my yardage should be less, right?? If so, how much less yardage would I need? Would the knitting software programs help in yardage estimation? I ask because often I come across some delightful yarn at my lys, but am often unsure just how much of it to get. It wouldn't be a problem to get more than I need, but unfortunately my tastes run towards the more expensive yarns! What I'm specifically thinking of is Noro's Iro. I have just fallen in love with this yarn, but to purchase enough to make a sweater, I would have to take out a bank loan! 2200 yards of Iro is a small fortune, so can anybody help? Oh, and thanks!
giedre11 is offline   Reply With Quote