Thread: Warm Up America
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 05:32 PM   #7
gmmarton
Turning the Heel

Warm Up America
The main WUA organization is very legitimate. My experience with them has been that they encourage knitters to donate their squares as finished products (i.e., lapghans, blankets or afghans) to local agencies, organizations or people in need. I participate in an after school knitting club, and our first year, we had the students knit rectangles for the purpose of making blankets to support WUA. After we wove our squares together, we were then encouraged to find someone in our area who would enjoy receiving our hand-knit blankets. This past year our blankets went to the local chapter of Project Linus, a very deserving group that donates blankets and quilts to children who have experienced some trauma in their lives.

I have actually dropped rectangles off at our local Michaels, but I wasn't impressed by what I saw. There didn't seem to be great organizing power behind weaving and sewing rectangles together for the purpose of creating a blanket.

Again, my experience has been that is always someone on the local level in need. You just have to find the appropriate agency or group that can facilitate that process for you.

Gail M. Marton
gmmarton is offline   Reply With Quote