View Single Post
Old 10-03-2007, 07:54 PM   #17
Nichan
Ribbing the Cuff

I agree with mathwizard!...crochet is much faster and so far, i found it has richer texture and motifs...but with knit...it's has rigid style and the texture is much closer...but to form something by knitting, i really have to think harder than crochet...but to modify the pattern, i think i more get used to with the knitting...i haven't tried to modify the crochet pattern...but i have to make 'original' form like bags or else, i think crochet is much easier...don't know how it becomes like that...but that what happens...

also, with crochet, mostly, i have to keep tracking by keep looking at the pattern...but with knit, i can understand the 'pattern' of knitting pattern faster...it's like easier to remember...

i crochet too now...i used to knit and bought a lot of knit needles...but then, i found a great crochet books and since then i got hooked and got 'crochet booked'...yes, i bought a lot, too lot crochet books...

i think Es.Rose has point, too...well, sometimes i thought back about my learning of knitting and crochet and compared them...
this what i found...
i learned all by myself by using books, internet...i think i learned faster with knit...i found problems and solves by myself quite faster in knitting than in crochet...i 'learn' to knit (a lot of basic method)within 2-3 weeks and it wasn't intensive...i learned it quite quickly, so within month i encouraged myself to modify pattern and make own pattern...also, playing with motifs...

but with crochet...i must say, it's been weeks and i'm still learning...may be to the next tens weeks...uh...but i like to know and see what i can see with crochet...the free form benefit it has has encouraged me to keep learning about it...

besides...with both of knit and crochet, i can use ALL my yarns, small or bulky...
with light to medium yarns, i will crochet it, and with heavier yarn...i will knit them,except may be for socks...

i think those (knit and crochet) complete each other...i have few knowledge of crochet since i was a kid (only chain and dc but unable to make like bags or else)...but i interested more in knitting until i bought the inspiring books...and i found that for me, some projects will be better if it's done with knitting than crochet and vice versa and sometimes projects are great in both knit and croch, so i can make both so i have both style...it's really my advantage to learn and know how to knit and crochet at the same time...

i think some people with crochet interest at first can find it, too...find that knitting is as interesting as crochet...and then, they tried to knit...or they just confused and stop learning it...

no matter what, knit and crochet are not 'twin'...they are one of ways of doing knit...if you have heard that traditional knit may not use needle but by hand...
may be it's like music...some people modern play guitar, other people play like a country traditional guitar.they both have string but the sound and the way it's played may be different or it is different...and some people may master modern guitar but unable or hard to play traditional guitar-like...
i think it's a matter of interest...i thought i wouldn't get hooked after i know knit, but know...i'm kind of obssesed to master crochet...so, i learn...it's harder but i LEARN...