View Single Post
Old 11-04-2007, 08:09 PM   #9
The.Knitter
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,187 Posts
I take no offence from your comments. Nor do I hope you will take any from mine Jeanette.

My doctor said the best thing to do is get them done before they are one or after they are ten years of age. That way there is no "playing with" the earrings and much less chance of the child trying to pull it off and swallow it. When they are very young it is just a "part" of them and they never bother with them. This is what I did and I know my daughter didn't bother with them, nor did her daughter.

I waited both times until the child was sleeping to have it done and it never bothered either one at the time, or since (thankfully).

I have to stress that I did NOT put cheap earrings in their ears. I kept the ears good and clean and rotated the earrings often.

I can see that a wide awake child would be traumatized by such goings on, especially because they have to sit very still for a minute, which is more the problem than pain would be. It doesn't hurt to have it done. It is how the situation is handled at the time, and by the parent, that is the problem IMHO.

Find our "Canadian Oddball Blanket KAL" on Ravelry as: OddballBlankets

The.Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The.Knitter For This Useful Post:
Itsabtme (11-04-2007)