Old 09-20-2010, 11:20 AM   #1
laryanita
Casting On

Mary Jane Slippers, Help please!!
Good morning everyone
I am making these awesome slippers, http://www.purlbee.com/mary-jane-slippers/
or, at least I am trying to. I have made the sole, but this is my first time picking up stitches and I am having some problems.
First question, when I "pick up" the stitches in this pattern, am I JUST picking up? Or am I picking up and knitting? I don't really see how I can pick up the stitches on the heel and toe and not pick up and knit, but the pattern says to just pick up.
Second question, the pattern says to pick up 3 for every 4 stitches up the sides, but I can't evenly do that, the math doesn't work out. Where exactly do I start picking up only 3 of 4 instead of every one?
Third question, picking up the stitches! again, I have never done it, and this pattern is doing it in garter stitch. I found this excellent tutorial, http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/archiv...kup_lines.html
the only issue is that it is from left to right? and it is just pick up, not pick up and knit which again becomes a problem when picking up the stitches in the toe and in the heel
am I doing something wrong? Please help knitting experts!
Its at times like these that I really wish that I had a mentor!
Thanks so much ahead of time for any help that anyone can offer!
laryanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You pick and knit at the same time, really. Insert the R needle into a stitch on the edge (pretend it's a L needle) and that's pick up. To knit it, you wrap the yarn around and pull through. Do this from the R side around just the same way you'd knit the rounds (which answers Q 3.).

The pick up 3 out of every 4 is based on the st/row ratio which is usually 3 to 4, your may be 5 to 7, or 2 to 3 may work better. Try picking up 2 out of every 3 sts and see if that works for you, or just pick up the right number of stitches evenly around.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
laryanita (09-20-2010)