Old 10-04-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
wholycow
Ribbing the Cuff

Experienced knitters advice to Beginning knitters
This has happened to me on several occasions and it's something that's starting to bug me.
I'm a beginning knitter..probably beginning advanced. When I ask questions anywhere when I'm around other knitters/knit shops/on raverly/or online/in knit groups..etc. There always seems to be a knitter that says 'Oh,it's EASY'..well,hello...what your easy is is not necessarily MY easy...and when I don't 'get it' the first time,or second time,or how many times..it only makes me feel dumb,and frustrated,and stressed. Please teachers..those that offer help and instruction, the word easy can and is used all too frequently when showing someone new how to do it. I knit for the love of the yarn,and as a destressor,& for the community of women...I want that to continue.
Thanks for listening..
wholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:21 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
The other side of that coin is when a newish knitter is overthinking and making something harder that it actually is. Sometimes it really is that easy.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:38 PM   #3
cftwo
Working the Gusset

I think this can go both ways. I've had instructors say that something is difficult when it was easy for me - and then I start wondering what I missed. When you're an instructor, you never know when a phrase will encourage or discourage someone and it takes a while to figure out what works with each particular student. (I've had the same thing happen when I supervise employees - some of them are very sensitive to criticism, and others don't seem to realize that you are criticizing.)

And who knows, maybe someday that lightbulb will go on and the new technique will click and then it *will* be easy.
cftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:01 PM   #4
tomczykc
Casting On

I don't think they intend to frustrate you or even make you feel inadequate...I believe they are simply trying to convince you not to give up...to not get frustrated with what you are attempting to do.
tomczykc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:26 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,740 Times in 7,112 Posts
I agree with the others. I can see why it might upset you if one person always does that, but I also think you should tell her that her saying that makes you feel dumb and less than adequate rather than what she intended. More than likely they ARE trying to help you not be condescending.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:34 PM   #6
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

Hi!
Point no. 1: I don't think that most people who take the efford to explain to a new or learning knitter are actually trying to show off their superior skill by "easy(for me, you dummy)".
Point no. 2: when I am confronted with a problem by someone, I sometimes squeeze my brain out until it hurts to find a solution for that person - and may still not be adequate or able to explain in words what I mean.

So when a problem is asked and it is easy for me to find a solution or explain what I know I may shout in joy: Oh, that is easy (to help you out of that tight spot).

So, don't worry, the "easy" is not even meant for the person asking at all. I mean teach an adult to knit and day one the knit stitch is a problem. Really. So what's easy anyways.
I consider myself a pretty good knitter, really. And I am willing to learn all the time. But that makes me ask and try to follow instructions and sometimes I am confronted with something that I really can not deal with just "easy". Well, I either ask some more or give up. Often I just get back to it later on. (like the "tracks" fingerless gloves for me... just didn't see the pattern, so next try soon with a fresh brain.)

Just take it easy (sorry, no pun intended)...

I have been away from the forum for a bit, but I am still around!
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:02 PM   #7
bambi
Working the Gusset

I think they just want you to know that you can do it. I think they mean it to build your confidence, not belittle you.

Some people find knitting socks easy....I am an intermediate/advanced knitter and I do not find them easy at all. But I finished one pair.

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Bambi-M

I'm Bambi-M on Ravelry
bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bambi For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (10-05-2010)
Old 10-05-2010, 09:41 PM   #8
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Congratulations, Bambi!
Originally Posted by bambi View Post
I think they just want you to know that you can do it. I think they mean it to build your confidence, not belittle you.

Some people find knitting socks easy....I am an intermediate/advanced knitter and I do not find them easy at all. But I finished one pair.
Hey, Bambi!

How awesome! Your first socks!

I'm such a sock-a-holic! There are so many of my friends and family who have warm tootsies because of my "partiality" (or is it obsession?) for knitting socks that I'm always happy to see others get bitten by the sock bug, even a little!

In the beginning, knitting socks was truly "rocket science" to me! My first pair are so pathetic, but I couldn't get rid of them so I keep them in my nightstand for bed socks. I have to laugh every time I put them on - one is bigger than the other and the other is shorter than the bigger one!

But I persisted and have had many happy knitting hours making socks, wearing socks and gifting socks!

I could say it's "easy" - and it IS easy.....now!

So hang in there, "wholycow", and if you persist in learning and getting practice, no matter how tempted you might be to throw the needles and yarn out the window, you will succeed and have a tremendous amount of satisfaction. And a wonderful art form to enrich you the rest of of your life. (By the way, great AVATAR!!!)

The folks on here are wonderfully generous knitters, always ready to help, and you can believe that if they tell you something is "easy" it's only meant to encourage you, not make you feel dumb!

Happy knitting,

Ruthie
Old 10-06-2010, 06:08 PM   #9
wholycow
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks all for your feedback and viewpoints. I think 'this is easy' is objective..easy for who? ...and that's more my point. I'd like (in my dreams) to have more of a grading system of difficulty. Easy/moderate/difficult doesn't work for many patterns for me as well as I'd like...and after I've bought the pattern that's labeled and open it to find it's way beyond what I'd hoped it's disappointing. Oh I know..the opp. to learn something new etc.etc.,and that's great too if that's what I think I'm buying. However when I buy a pattern called easy I guess I expect it to be beginner level easy as opposed to I've been knitting 20yrs.and it's easy. I won't expect that anymore,and I'll have to read the whole pattern first b4 purchase,which takes the online buying out of the picture...knit on;o)
wholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wholycow For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (10-06-2010)
Old 10-07-2010, 11:56 AM   #10
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

Ah...using the terms to try to buy a pattern is a bit different than just having someone trying to teach you something say, "Oh, that's easy."

I think you're right..sometimes you just have to look at it a bit to really tell. I guess those are just general guidelines--not an exact science. As you said..."easy" is different to everyone.

And it works both ways...for instance, from reading all the knitting boards, it appears that the kitchener stitch is tremendously complicated and scary and hard...but it only took me a couple of minutes to learn it, and I found it to be extremely easy!! But other things that folks say are easy scare me a bit. So, you just never know.

I'm Knittermom9 on Ravelry
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote