Old 12-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
ericgr
Casting On

newbie knitter: Can I 'rip off' several rows from the cast on point?
Basically, I created a nice hat (k2,p2 rib, moving into stockinette), with a ribbed brim which is way to long. I wanted to be able to fold up the brim so erred on the side of making it longer. Well, I erred too much and now that the hat is complete, when I fold up the brim it basically covers most of the stockinette and goes up to the top of my head. Looks a little ridiculus.

So...I was wondering if it is possible to untie my cast on slip know, rip out about 1 1/2" of ribbing, use a crochet hook to somehow link the row of stitches back into the rest of the hat and then call it a day.

Thanks! This was my first project, so I reckon next time I will follow some directions!

Eric
ericgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You generally can't undo ribbing from the cast on because of the knits and purls, though it may work in the round. Try it and see if it works. If you just get a tangled mess, then snip a st where it changes from the rib to the stockinette, put the sts on a needle and knit a row of stockinette, then redo the rib from there down. You'll have to add a stitch because going the direction you're offset by one stitch.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,761 Times in 7,129 Posts
Yes, you can pick out a cast on. It doesn't rip back as easy as the bind off, but it can be done. Take out what you need and then just put needles in it and bind it off as if you'd gone from the top down then fold.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote