Old 01-19-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,644 Times in 7,046 Posts
How I use and make linked markers
Jack sent me a PM to remind/ask me to describe the linked markers I use. These aren't my invention, but I'll pass the info on to you.

As you can see from the attached photo I make them with split rings. I either just use my thumbs or a pliers..whatever is handy. Once I make them I tend to keep them as they are and if I need a different number I make a new one. I put beads on the bottom so I know which is the top.

These come in really handy for something that you don't do every row, but you want to be done on a specific row. Like cabling for instance - if you want to twist the cable every 6 rows you'd use a 6 ring marker. I place the marker in a few stitches on the row so it won't fall off. I have also placed it on the previous row at the end (1 stitch in).

Each time you come to the marker you pick up the next loop with your right right needle and keep on knitting. If it's the loop with the bead you know it's time to do the cable cross (or whatever).

I've actually got a linked marker that I'm using right now that is long and has a bead at the end and another midway down because I'm doing two different things that require two different number of stitches. It's a little trickier to use, but I've done this enough it's pretty easy.

Any questions?
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	markers.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	55151  

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
amy (10-30-2012), ArtLady1981 (01-21-2011), cacunn (01-19-2011), Daylilydayzed (01-19-2011), GrumpyGramma (10-27-2012), HollyP (01-20-2011), hyperactive (01-23-2011), Michaele (01-19-2011), Mirl56 (01-20-2011), OffJumpsJack (01-26-2011), RuthieinMaryland (01-24-2011), salmonmac (01-20-2011), Snugglebugmom (04-30-2011), TEMA (01-20-2011), Wanda Witch (01-21-2011), yarnrainbow (01-22-2011)
Old 01-19-2011, 07:43 PM   #2
Michaele
Ribbing the Cuff

That's a really neat tip! Thanks for posting it.
Michaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:26 PM   #3
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
I have been using linked marker since I started knitting. I find them very handy since I have limited knitting time. I may to be able to knit one or two rows/rounds in a day. It may be a couple of days before I can pick up my knitting again. With linked markers it is easy to tell where I am in the pattern.

Increase/decrease every other row calls for a two ring marker. Increase every time the beaded ring is picked up I need to increase/degrease. If I put the piece down for a week, when I pick it up I look at the marker, if the marker on the needle does not have bead, I know the last round/row was a plain knit and the next round/row will be a increase/decrease round/row.

If it is a complicated pattern where one part of the pattern changes every 5 rows and another part of the pattern changes every 7 row, I may use two different markers, one with 5 rings and another with 7 rings.

Simple to make, easy to use.

Thanks Jan in CA

cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
Daylilydayzed (01-19-2011)
Old 01-20-2011, 10:29 AM   #4
kmaclean
Turning the Heel

That's a really neat idea .... I never would have thought of doing that on my own! I think I remember you mentioning this a while back, but I guess the idea didn't stick since I didn't have the same use for them when I was starting out as I would now ... Thanks for bringing it up again!
kmaclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
Mirl56
Instepping Out

You've described this before. Being lazy, I've done the same thing with the plastic safety pins and put a solid ring marker at the end as the 'charm'.
http://www.patternworks.com/productd...NG-MARKERS.htm
and
http://www.patternworks.com/productd...ER-MARKERS.htm
Not a pretty, but it works.

I have gone as far as buying a pack of your split rings, I see them looking at me everytime I'm digging around for some markers. Next time I want to use this type of row counter, I'm going to open it up!!

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:22 PM   #6
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
I like the split rings because I can get them close to the size of the needle I am using. I find that if the marker is a lot larger than the needle that I get ladders or larger stitches.

cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:07 PM   #7
Mokumegane
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Mokumegane Send a message via MSN to Mokumegane Send a message via Yahoo to Mokumegane
You mentioned you use split rings... wouldn't that be hard to get out of the yarn when you needed to repeat? Split rings are like the ring you have on your keychain... you're sure they're not jump rings? Jump rings would be like split rings, only they don't overlap each other... you would open them with pliers or your finger, then close them. I know this because I do jewelry and maille items... lol... not only a knitter. If you're having problems finding the correct sizes, you can order online. However, theringlord.com (my favorite place to get them) sells by the ounce. Aluminum is cheap, though... a few dollars per ounce, really. You can also buy wire at the store, if you can find something around 18-22 gauge, then buy a wooden dowel at the correct size, wrap the wire around, then either use a saw with a very thin blade or use wire cutters to cut the coil into jump rings (or even split rings). If you use wire cutters, you end up getting a join area that looks like |< instead of || and it could snag things. Hmm... I think I have pictures...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Alright, I know... I didn't have a picture of just a jump ring but do you see near the clasp how there's a few rings you can see nearly the whole thing? They look like an O, with a single wire for the entire thing and it doesn't overlap at all.
Mokumegane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:07 PM   #8
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,880 Times in 3,001 Posts
I think I'll try this for keeping track of things like a 12 row repeat! Thanks, Jan!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:18 PM   #9
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,644 Times in 7,046 Posts
Chris and Moku...The terms are used interchangeably regardless of what is "correct." It doesn't really matter.

Jump rings
Split rings

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:44 PM   #10
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,880 Times in 3,001 Posts
'Split rings' are jump rings with a split opening, as opposed to 'closed jumprings' which are soldered shut, no opening. I use sterling silver 'closed jumprings' to make my own stitch markers because they don't snag my yarn, ever.

I never use split (open) jumprings for stitch markers, but I will for this project. But I'll stick with sterling silver. I've had real good luck with SS. No tarnishing. Stays satiny smooth, shiny and bright.

I checked on Amazon. They sell sterling silver jump rings, open or closed style. They're not expensive. I didn't realizethat Amazon had jump rings of any kind! That's cool!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote